Friday, February 17, 2012

Hurdles...argh!

I fully intended to be blogging about juicing and blending today, but it just wasn't in the cards. Just when I thought I was on the road to recovery, having started physical therapy and starting to put some weight on my surgery leg...I'm met with some pretty major hurdles.

About a week ago, I started to get a red "spot" on my back, about half the size of the palm of my hand. It basically looked like and felt like a welt. I tried calamine and hydrocortisone, both to no avail. In fact, the calamine lotion made it hurt. It started itching, so I decided to go in to the dermatologist and check it out. It turns out that I have shingles. Awesome...another thing to set back my recovery. I didn't know anything about shingles, so I did some research and learned that after you have chicken pox, your body stores the virus in the nerve cell. Many people will see a reappearance of the virus in the form of shingles. Luckily, based on my research, most people only get one "case" of shingles a year. That's a good thing because my research also tells me that shingles can be incredibly painful. UGH! Luckily, I've only experienced some minor itching and some mild flu-like symptoms. I'm hoping that I caught it early enough so that the medication will kick it in the face. A friend of mine recommended L-Lysine, so I am using the highest recommended dosage (3g) a day. The doctor prescribed Valtrex, which I found out is also used to treat cold sores and herpes. I'm an adult, right? But I was still embarrassed when I picked up the prescription at the pharmacy. As if the pharmacist cares what I need the medication for! I made sure to clarify that I have shingles, not herpes. :-)

I've made a lot of progress with being able to put weight on my leg, but I noticed the last two days that I've had pretty excruciating charlie horses in my left calf and throbbing in my left ankle and foot. Last night I had to stop between the bathroom and the bedroom to cry. Nah, I pretty much wailed, because I was in so much pain. So much for cutting back on the pain meds. I took an Ibuprofen 800 and two Percocets and piled the ice packs on my knee and lower leg. When I went in to PT this morning, my adorable physical therapist (who I learned has a name...it's Tarah) was concerned. She thinks it is possible that I may have a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT=blood clot). She said my symptoms indicate that it is possible. However, upon massaging and inspecting my calf and foot, she doesn't see any visible symptoms (hard swollen spot, heat). I've been instructed to keep a close watch on it and if it gets more painful or if I see those visible symptoms, I should go to the ER.

On a positive note, the incision sites are healing and I am still able to put some weight on my leg. It has made getting dressed a whole lot easier! I no longer need my seven-year-old daughter to help me put on underwear. hehe Teddy and I went to Target today and I was able to crutch around the store. It wore me out, but it felt good to get out. He and his girlfriend Ashley are taking Athena to see Big Time Rush tonight. I wish I could have been the one to take my sweet girl to her first "concert". I've instructed them to take lots of pictures for me.

  My knee!! The incision sites are healing nicely and I am able to bathe again rather than shower (yay!!). I still have quite a bit of swelling, but I can see a kneecap in there. That's what I call improvement :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment